I would crave for almond cake occasionally … This lemon almond cake is light and fluffy with a hint of lemon tangy. Simply love the sweet nutty aroma while the cake was baking in the oven.
I halved the recipe for a 6-inch size cake, just perfect for the 3 of us to enjoy our afternoon coffee/tea break.
Recipe adapted from :Simply Recipes Flourless Lemon Almond Cake
Below my slightly modified version
Lemon Almond Cake
6-inch springform pan or pan with removable base
For the yolk mixture:
2 eggs yolks
1 tablesppon lemon zest
35g caster sugar
80g ground almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cold egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon juice
35g caster sugar
Icing sugar to dust (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Position the rack in the middle. The temperature of the oven may vary, do adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven.
2) Grease the sides of the 6-inch springform pan with butter or spray. Line the base of the pan with lightly greased parchment paper.
3) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the cold egg whites and lemon juice till foamy using the electric hand mixer. Add in the caster sugar in 3 additions. Beat till soft peak.
4) In another large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, lemon zest, and caster sugar with electric hand mixer until smooth.
5) In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and beat until smooth (about 30 secs to 1 minute).
6) Using a spatula, gently fold in the meringue into the almond mixture in 3 additions.
7) Scoop batter into pan, level the top with spatula and bake in preheated oven 170ºC for 25 minutes. If the top gets browned too quickly, tent with aluminium foil in the last 10 minutes of baking. Check for doneness with a skewer inserted into the center of the cake if it comes out clean.
8) Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake, release the springform pan sides, and gently move the cake (on parchment) to a cake serving plate.
To serve, dust with some icing sugar & some fresh berries if you like.
From the look, thought it would be dense. But the texture is light and soft. Enjoy !